Monday 21 April 2014

Pads, cramps and tampons

 
 
 



People get so grossed out when you talk about menstruation. Some can't even say the word. So they create code words:

- Lady time
- Red tide
- Aunt flow
- Got the painters in
- Shark week
- Rags
- Period
- 'that time' of the month

So let's just for this blog pretend that there is no social stigma against talking about something that effects half of the world's population.

So I shall first break the ice and talk about my own personal experience with it all. I was one of the lucky ones. I was at home after school when I got it for the first time. I was also thirteen so I was at an age where I knew it was going to happen and what to expect. Some aren't so lucky. I learnt about everything at school. My parents had to sign a permission slip to allow me to attend the class. I can't remember if there was anyone who wasn't allowed to attend. But I am sure there was. The only conversation I believe I received from either of my parents was more of a quiz.

Dad: So Sarah, If you have a heavy month, do you use a pad or a tampon.
Sarah: Both
Dad: okay good.

The end.

My family don't really talk about things like this. I remember when I was in primary school and I had first learnt about it all, I tested the waters a bit. I said to my grandmother: "Hey Nanna, I have some blood in my undies". Her response? "oh that's no good".
Good thing I made it up. lol.

So once again I went to my top source of information, Facebook, and asked all of my lady friends for some embarrassing period related stories. And boy did I get some. But it is only fair that before I start hounding on my loved ones that I share a horror story of my own. Because for some reason I have a horror story relating to any topic you can think of lol.

So one weekend boyfriend and his friends invited me to go to this bar/club that lots of people in our area like to go to. I got dressed nice and pretty and was ready for a night on the town. Unfortunately, boyfriend and his friends failed to mention that this happened to be a special foam party event. Meaning waste deep, wet, bubbly foam. There is only so much a pad and a tampon can hold before they start to overflow. I was wearing a skirt, and skin coloured stockings. I am sure you can fill in the rest...



Let us now focus on other people lol.

So remember what I said about being lucky I was educated and somewhat prepared for what was going to happen? Well this first girl was definitely not educated. She didn't feel comfortable enough to ask her mum about what products she would need so her aunt took her shopping for all of the supplies. Job well done. A few days later she got an angry phone call from the girl's mother saying she had a tampon stuck up her bum. UH OHHHHH.

Everybody is different when it comes to their cycle. Some girls have theirs run like clockwork and can schedule their life accordingly. Some have no way of knowing when theirs will begin. One unfortunate friend of mine got hers whilst waiting in the doctors office for a pap smear and had to leave her appointment. She also has had to make a DIY pad out of toilet paper. Which lot's of us have.

Along the same lines, another girl was at uni, in a skirt, sitting in a class when she got her period. To top it off she had a coughing fit. Which tenses all the muscles down there and basically pushes everything out. She had blood all over her and her chair in the middle of class! She had to cover the chair with paper, excuse herself to the bathroom then come back later to clean it all up. GAHHH.

Having close girlfriends can be really helpful. One friend I know stood up in the middle of class and had a blood stain on the back of her dress. Her friend sitting next to her quickly wrapped her jumper around her waist. The school nurse tried to convince her to change into spare clothes and return to class. haaaaaa. no thankyou.

So we all have had different experiences with getting it for the first time...or horribly embarrassing things happening due to this monthly annoyance. But luckily we all go through the same thing. And I think hearing stories like this can make us feel better about it all. So I hope this has been nice and comforting for all you ladies.

There will most likely be a second part to this blog because there is just so much material on it! So keep your eyes peeled :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment