Monday 18 February 2013

5 years of vegetarianism!

Picture from google

Today marks a very significant day for me. Five years ago exactly, I made the bold decision to become a vegetarian. It has been an interesting journey, with both good and bad moments. I thought this would be a great opportunity to write a blog about what it has involved and answer some questions that most people ask me when they hear I took this step.

Why did you become a vegetarian? 

There are so many reasons people choose this lifestyle. Health, religion, ethics and more. In a way I am a combination of a few. Firstly, the thought of eating little animals doesn't sit right with me. The fact that we live in a world where we can easily choose not to eat meat makes it all a lot easier. Secondly, the research I have done on the actual effects of meat production is astounding. Not to make this a lecture or anything, but did you know that to create one pound of beef, you need to feed the cow 4 to 5 pounds of high quality grain? If we lowered meat consumption, that 4 to 5 pounds of grain could go towards ending world hunger. Just something to think about.

Picture from google.
Do you take vitamin supplements?

Yes I do. Every day I take a woman's multivitamin as well as an iron specific supplement. This is pretty important, especially for women.

Do you think you will ever eat meat again?

To be honest I can't picture that happening. But I believe if I were to become pregnant, I would go back to eating meat for that nine months to make sure my baby got everything he or she needed. Children need different amounts of iron and protein to adults.

What do you eat...SALAD? & Do you eat cheese, eggs etc?

I hate salad. There is nothing enjoyable about eating leaves, let's be honest haha. But I do. It's all about finding things that you can add to it that make you happy. My favourite salad is rocket, baby spinach, walnuts, feta cheese, beetroot and balsamic vinegar. Which answers the second question. I eat all dairy products and other animal biproducts. I just draw the line when the animal is harmed for my food.  I try my best to have protein when I can, but it can become difficult. Although I do drink milk, I also love soy milk, which is better for you. Oh and one other thing I get a lot. I DO NOT EAT FISH OR CHICKEN. THEY ARE ANIMALS TOO.

Picture from google.
Do you miss meat?

I get this question probably more than any other. I would be lying if I said I didn't. Although after five years the craving is rarely there, I still think about it sometimes when my friends or family are eating it. I always liked meat, that was never the problem. Thankfully there are so many meat substitutes now. These are high in protein and sometimes taste like the real thing! An example would be soy hot dogs. Put it in a bun, have it with tomato sauce and onions and it tastes the same to me.

Do you mind if people eat meat in front of you?

Nope. I am completely used to it. Remember I used to eat it too!

Do you ever get people giving you a hard time about it?

Constantly. Becoming a vegetarian can be hard. There are often people just waiting for you to give up so that they can tell you "I knew you wouldn't last". You will often get a lot of criticism from people who just don't understand. I happen to live in an area close to a lot of farm land. People in these areas rarely understand the choices vegetarians make. The important thing is that you believe in yourself and your decisions.

Here is a little list of some of the things people commonly say:
- "Plants have feelings too! How can you eat them!?"
- "I'm having a bbq at my house, let me guess, you are going to have a big steak?"
- "I'm having a bbq at my house, since there is nothing you can eat, I won't mow the lawn for a while and you can go crazy eating all the grass"
- "Oh you are having a party? There better be meat there..."
- "If you were lost in the bush and the only way you would survive is if you ate meat, would you?"
- "*explains the abattoir process*"
- "God intended we eat meat"
- "We have sharp teeth so that we can eat meat"
- "There are children in Africa who would love to eat the meat you give up"

I am sure I could think of many more but you get the point. People can be lame haha. I shall leave you now with a quote from a very wise man xx.





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful site, thank you for sharing!! =)

    Please visit our site (we just turned vegetarian as well and wanted to share also with the world!) on Facebook, www.facebook.com/AnimalsForAnimals, it's specifially for pet owners / lovers to also start thinking of other animals and expanding the existing love they have for their own pets to them! ;)

    Best of luck to you,
    Hans

    ReplyDelete