Thursday 28 May 2015

Birth control





We all tend to tip toe around anything sex related. And by we I mean anyone other than my friends and I.

But I think since I once described in detail the moment a boy groped my fat roll instead of my breast we can talk about birth control without a problem.

I wanted to talk about my experience with getting implanon, aka 'the rod'. Which is a progesterone releasing device that is implanted into your upper arm and stays there for three years.

You need an initial consultation with your GP who will (hopefully) give you some info on what it is and what the risks are. And apparently there are quite a lot of those. Click HERE to get some more technical information lol. They also have to book you in on a day that coincides with the right time in your cycle. I wonder how many guys just cringed. That's right, it has to coincide with MENSTRUATION!

So I went in, got the information and a script to get the actual device for on the day. Mine cost $40.

Now it depends how much of a chicken you are but I suggest youtubing the procedure before going. Lots of people have posted footage of their procedure. Warning, it looks pretty brutal haha. I also don't really suggest watching people's bad experience videos. As long as you have done your research, that should be enough. Don't scare yourself! If you have any really bad reactions the doctor can easily take it out and it will immediately stop working.

Take a friend with you. Having my best friend there singing Bob Marley songs to me really helped me (not so much the doctor doing it haha). Because if I am being honest, it hurt.

So it starts off with the doctor tunnelling a needle under your skin and injecting a local anaesthetic. This is the bit that hurts, but the numbing effect soon takes place. I had a great nurse who volunteered as chief hand holder, which was very nice.
After that they insert the applicator, push a button, remove the applicator and the rod is left behind and you are done :)

The mark left on my skin is really small which is great. The bruise however is pretty significant. Ironically enough, it is also shaped like a penis. Yep. Lucky me. But other than that I have not had any side effects and it has been just over a week since it was implanted.

The doctor's fee will vary but mine was $102.
Sex is safe after a week but check with your doctor because they all tend to say different things. It also depends on if you were already on a type of birth control such as the pill. But remember kids, this will not protect you from STDs and no contraceptive is 100% effective. Didn't Healthy Harold teach you that!?
I am not sure there is much else to tell you, but feel free to ask questions below!

xx Sar.




No comments:

Post a Comment