Thursday 25 February 2016

Rant number #7426472: cosmetic nursing





It has been a while since I have had a bit of a ranty blog.
It has been a while since I have blogged at all.

But something has been bugging me. Something someone said. So I am here once again, staring at the keyboard, ready to get a bit aggressive.

It wasn't in these words exactly, but from what I interpreted from the conversation, I was basically accused of being anti-feminist/a contributor to the destruction of female body image by doing what I do. I am a cosmetic nurse. And FYI I love my job.

Yes it does involve botox and dermal filler which is what immediately comes to mind for most people when they think about cosmetic medicine. Kylie Jenner and the like.
Yes people do want to pay to look 'prettier'. And that is their choice. I notice you dye your hair. How dare you alter your appearance to look and feel better.

But for those of you who think that is all cosmetic medicine involves, here is a little bit of education for you. Because I didn't abandon ethics that I spent 23 years constructing.

I am in the business of self esteem.

Let's start with botox. A drug basically used to paralyze muscles in your face. Which has been built up to resemble the epitome of vanity. Yes we use it to smooth out wrinkles. But we also use it to stop people sweating profusely. It is injected for instance in the underarms, and excessive sweating will temporarily be ceased. No more embarrassment for business men who are forced to wear long business shirts in the Australian summer.

Fillers. 'Duck face'. Yes that is a thing. But it is also used to even out a clients anatomy when they have irregularities caused by scars and accidents.

We soften and remove hormonal pigmentation formed during pregnancy. So basically, after a woman has had her baby and no longer breast feeds, we can remove the dark freckles that can cause a 'mask' around your eyes from pregnancy hormones.

We remove bright red capillaries that form on peoples faces that makeup can struggle to cover.

We prescribe medical grade skin care for people with problem skin such as rosacea, pigmentation and severe acne.

We can remove or soften scars. Including acne scars which have been known to socially incapacitate people.

We do ear pinning for clients anywhere from age 13. Because high school is not always a fun and loving place. I do not think this has to be done for someone to look beautiful. I for one think Kate Hudson is one of the most beautiful people in the world and she rocks that look. But being different can sometimes really get to people. Especially teens.



So yeah. I must be a horribly superficial person for working in the industry.
Yeah no. I am very comfortable with what I do. Judgey McJudgeypants.

Xx Sar


No comments:

Post a Comment