Wednesday 13 May 2015

Those darn charity people!




Don't you hate it when you are trying to do your shopping and you are stopped by someone trying to get you to donate to charity?! Where I used to live, my favourite sushi shop was barricaded by a wall of people trying to stop you! I just wanted my sushi gosh darn it! lol. (also weirdly enough they were trying to get me to donate to save marine life..in front of a sushi restaurant? Do we think people going there are interested in the welfare of fish?)

They are usually so good at it too. Good thing they aren't trying to sell million dollar sports cars. They also always seem to be attractive people with english accents. I mean how many of you can there be!? "Are you interested in donating to ..." "WHY YES I AM! YOU SOUND LIKE RUSSELL BRAND!"

I always feel so rude saying no, or god forbid just ignoring them like I have seen other people do! I am getting better at knowing where they will be and I can manage to walk a different way to avoid them. Went to the shops the other day with my roommate and after we finished our shopping she was like "aw no please don't make me walk past them!". THAT IS HOW GOOD THEY ARE. THE GUILT AND SHAME IS REAL!

But do you know what is way worse than all of this? Actually being one of the people who needs your charity... Yes, this is one of those kind of posts. Sorry. I am so deceiving ;)

Now before I start my rant, which I feel I am going to thoroughly enjoy writing, let me tell you a little about how I try and help society. Other than with my fabulous sense of humour.

Firstly, I am a nurse. So I actually serve the community every day when I go to work. My mother (who is also a nurse) has always said that we have to remember that that is a big contribution in itself and we shouldn't feel guilty that we can't always help financially. Which is very true. But I still wanted to give more. And I am not at the two minute noodle eating stage just yet. So I am still good haha.

So, those darn charity people have managed to squeeze lots out of me haha.
Every month I donate to oxfam, save the children, the marine conservation society and I also sponsor a child. I have done a flashmob protest on the steps of the opera house and I was a vegetarian for five years. Oh and I marched to protest against sending troops to Afghanistan and to try and legalise gay marriage. Fuck I am good. haha nah kidding, just want you to know I'm not too much of a hypocrite lol.

And every time I joined another charity I could easily justify it by saying to myself "this is no more than spotify or netflix..." or "that's only the price of a large cup of coffee". Which is true!

And I am definitely not saying that next time someone stops you on the street asking you to join a charity you should just because you feel guilty.. Because that is a bit silly. And we definitely can't all afford it!

But if you can, maybe have a little think about what in particular makes you hate the universe. Is it child hunger? The pollution and destruction of the natural wonders of the world? Illegal animal trade? The aftermath of natural disaster? The gap between indigenous communities and white settlers?

What ever it is, do some research! There may be things you can do that don't involve money. Like volunteering or sending an email to a member of parliament. I don't believe that you can honestly tell me there is nothing that makes you hate the world. Because every time you turn the tv on, go on the internet or listen to conversation in the lunch room at work, there is something horrific happening. The world is a horrible place haha.

Now I know that the gap between rich and poor is disgusting, but I am trying to give back. And for the first time in my life I don't feel as guilty when I buy a new lipstick. Because I know I am putting in some effort. But there is always more we can do.

Here are a few easy changes you can make day to day that can start to make an impact. In case you weren't listening in sixth grade.

- Re-use your plastic bags. If you remember to bring them! I am horrible at remembering to bring them. And in the ACT you have to buy bags if you want to use theirs. So that should be incentive enough!
- Try and use public transport, ride a bike or walk more places
- Give a one off donation instead of monthly
- Buy RSPCA approved meat and dairy
- Don't leave all your lights on all the time! It is bad for your electricity bill as well haha.
- Limit shower time. I know that is hard in winter haha.
- Use a bucket when you wash your car and wash it on the grass.
- Don't just throw old clothes away, give them to charity. Even if they have holes in them!
- Recycle. Come on guys. You can do it lol.
- STOP LEAVING YOUR FRIGGEN RUBBISH ON THE GROUND !? WHYYY? I don't get it...

This has been a public service announcement courtesy of: Sit down with Sarah

lol xx



No comments:

Post a Comment