Friday 10 April 2020

Sarah's Quarantine Kitchen


Eggs in Purgatory



Hello all you cool cats and kittens.
I have missed you! 
Since I have a little more spare time these days, and I am sure you probably do too,
I thought I would get back on here and share some more things with you!
Starting with my breakfast haha.

Woke up feeling motivated, and thought I would make something a bit different that you can make using pantry and fridge staples! Perfect for this strange strange period of time.

I hope you are all going well and are keeping busy. 
I am using this as a time of rest and organisation. I am choosing to see it as more of a blessing. Also, I am a bit of an introvert, so this could also be the best thing possible for me lol. 

Okay so let's get into the recipe!

What I love about this is you will almost always have everything on hand to make this. Here is what I used. But I will also include some substitutions or additions that might be nice. 



My chilli plant, having been ravaged by creatures

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 can diced tomato
  • 1 can butter beans (optional)
  • 1 tbs tomato paste (optional but recommended)
  • 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
  • lots of salt and pepper
  • 1 chilli (chilli flakes would also be great in this)
  • 1/2 tbs dried italian herbs (I like to live life on the edge, so I go to town on this and add more)
  • 5 basil leaves (you don't have to have this, but I had it because I grow it)
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves (can also use 3/4 tsp of garlic powder)
  • half an onion (I buy frozen chopped onion, life saver!)
  • 1/2 cup bacon bits (ham would also be nice)
I served mine with hashbrowns (which I had in the freezer) and some wholegrain toast. 
You can really pick and choose with this recipe. Get rid of the bacon to make it vego. Serve it with some haloumi on the side. That would be bomb. Get rid of the eggs to make it vegan. The butter beans in there actually make it really hearty anyway!


Method

  1. Heat your olive oil in a deep pan on a medium heat. Once it has heated, add your onion and chopped red chilli. If you are using chilli flakes, hold off on that until we add the Italian herbs later.
  2. Cook that for one or two minutes until the onion begins to turn translucent. Then add your fresh garlic.Once again, if using powder, hold off on that. Cook until garlic begins to lightly brown.
  3. Add your bacon bits. Cook for one minute. I don't like this to get too crispy for this dish. But you do you. Leave it longer if that is what floats your boat.
  4. Drain and rinse your butter beans in water. Then add to pan. Heat for thirty seconds. Add tomato paste, stir, heat for thirty seconds. 
  5. Add whole can of tomatoes. Mix all together. Add a good amount of salt and pepper. Followed by your Italian herbs (and chilli flakes and garlic powder if using) and balsamic vinegar. Let that come up to heat and start to bubble. 
  6. One by one, crack your eggs into a small bowl before pouring them into your pan. Leaving a good distance between each one. 
  7. Cover with a lid and let cook for around 6 minutes (poke the yolk to test if it is to your liking). I let mine go a little longer because I don't like runny eggs. 
  8. Once finished, uncover, tear your basil leaves and place on top. Serve immediately.


Space out your eggs!


Hope you all enjoy this. There will be more to come. Let me know if you give it a try!

xx Sarah








No comments:

Post a Comment