Monday 29 February 2016

Restaurant review: Ragú pasta and wine bar Sydney




This has been my second experience with Ragú pasta and wine bar. Both experiences very different. But since it was on this day that I chose to start the reviewing process, I must adhere to the rules and judge them on this meal alone.

Amongst the hustle and bustle of Sydney’s CBD lies a beautifully decorated wine bar that advertises ‘made in Italy’. Whilst the waiters are definitely authentically Italian as is the wine list, there is where the authenticity ends.

Let us start with the wine list, as that is a major attraction of the restaurant. It offers a short but widespread list of wine, both international and local. One of each grape. Strangely the years of wine were left off the list but I sampled the montepulciano sangiovese ($9) and the chianti ($11). Both Italian and both DELICIOUS. I thought it was very reasonably priced and was very happy with my choices. Sadly they adhered to the RSA rules of pouring and I was left wanting more. But I can’t judge too harshly for that.

I happen to know though if you choose to sit at the bar rather than a table they are a lot more attentive with your wine selections, allowing you to sample bits and pieces at the bartender’s discretion. The wine bar itself has had a lot of thought and time put into it, displaying an array of bottles and barrels, bringing you to Italy itself. The kitchen also had an arrangement of cured meats and cheeses. Which apparently were display only.

I thought I would go for a typical Italian meal and order the antipasto for one ($16). Although a generous portion was given, the joy ended there as I was given a heap of meat and pickled vegetables on a mounded plate saturated with olive oil. There was zero presentation, which normally would not be of major concern to me, however every element of the dish was mushed together subtracting from individual flavours.

The cheese was delicious, sharp yet creamy. The bread was fresh, soft and crusty. But altogether it was a miserable concoction. I genuinely feared when I bit into the salami that I would have to make an emergency trip to the dentist whilst here on my stay. The prosciutto attempted and partially succeeded in making up for the assault of its cured cousin, but the addition of what could only be pickled vegetables dished out from jars overwhelmed any attempts made.

My question is how could anyone screw up an olive? My favourite part of any antipasto platter was butchered and I was left disappointed by inedible elements to the dish.

I did however appreciate the waiters allowing me to practice ‘La Dolce Far Niente’ (the art of doing nothing). They did not hover, although I could tell they were keeping an eye out in case I needed anything.

I took my sweet time to the point where I was out of time and unable to sample their coffee or dessert, a travesty I am sure as they had many things on display that looked inviting. And although their Nona wouldn’t be too proud of the slop they served me, the wine was lovely and the ambience felt special despite being amongst a busy food junction. I would go there again for the wine and cheese, but would certainly go for a different option such as a fresh pasta which the couple next to me seemingly enjoyed.


Altogether, 2.5 stars out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment